Patient Experience Feedback

All of the doctors, nurses and staff at the Practice believe in a modern healthcare system that exists for the patient and, as far as possible, is designed to meet the needs and wishes of the individual receiving care and treatment, and where appropriate their carer and/or representative.

Although everyone at this practice strives to achieve this, we acknowledge that circumstances may arise when you feel let down or concerned by the service you have received and we would actively encourage you to bring the matter to our attention.

The Patient Rights (Scotland) Act 2011 gives patients, carers and families a legal right to provide feedback on their experiences and provide comments or raise concerns or complaints about NHS Services.

Our complaints procedure complies with directions issued by the Scottish Executive and NHS Guidance.

We have tried our best to make sure that the information given here is correct. However, this information is for guidance only and should not be relied on as a complete statement of the law or the procedure to be followed in all circumstances.

If you are thinking about taking legal action, you should contact a Solicitor, Citizens Advice Bureau or other advice agency.  The Practice cannot handle complaints in terms of this procedure in relation to matters about which legal action is underway.

Who should you complain to?

The Practice

We hope that most issues can be resolved easily and quickly, ideally at the time they arise.

If you feel that you cannot or would prefer not to resolve the issue this way, you can raise your concerns with Alison McKenzie, the nominated Complaints Officer for the Practice, who will explain the complaints procedure to you and will make sure that your concerns are dealt with as promptly as possible.

You can make a complaint in person, by phone or in writing.

Contact Details:

Complaints Officer
Kinglass Medical Practice
Kinglass Centre
Gauze Road
EH51 9UE

Tel (01506) 822 556    

Practice Complaint Procedure Leaflet 
(Print landscape, double-sided, flip on short edge)

It will be a great help if you are as specific as possible about your complaint.

We would prefer you to let us know as soon as possible, ideally within a matter of days or at most a few weeks because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.

The timescale recommended by the Scottish Executive for accepting a complaint is: 

  • Up to 6 months after the event which is the cause for the complaint;  or
  • Up to 6 months from the patient becoming aware of a cause for complaint;
  • but, normally, no longer than 12 months from the event.

The Practice will operate these guidelines flexibly, and will accept a complaint where it would have been unreasonable for the patient to make it earlier and where it is still possible to investigate the circumstances. 

A patient can appeal to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman against a decision by the Practice not to accept their complaint.


What will the Practice do?

We have a two stage complaints procedure.

Stage 1   Early, Local Resolution

We will always try to resolve your complaint quickly, within 5 working days where possible.

If you are dissatisfied with our response, you can ask us to consider your complaint at stage 2.

Stage 2  Investigation

If dissatisfied with our response at Stage 1, we will look at your complaint at this stage.

We also look at some complaints immediately at this stage if it is clear that they are complex and need more detailed investigation.

We shall initially acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days and aim to respond in full as soon as possible. This should be no more than 20 working days unless it is clear there is a good reason for needing more time.

We will:

  • find out what happened and what may have gone wrong
  • enable you to discuss the problem with staff concerned, or others, if you would like this
  • give you a full explanation in writing if appropriate
  • identify what we will do to learn from the problem to make sure it doesn't happen again

Complaint process experience

In accordance with local and national guidance on good practice, we will send a feedback form to complainants to ask about their experience of the process of complaining.  However, it is understandable that not everybody may wish to engage in such a process of feedback.

Learning from Complaints

Complaints are reviewed with the individuals involved and learning shared among the wider team and external colleagues where appropriate.  This includes a process known as significant event analysis (SEA).  GPs discuss complaints and SEAs they have been involved with during their annual appraisal undertaken by the Health Board.  Practice Nurses undertake reflective learning as part of their organisational appraisal as well as for revalidation with their professional body.

Complaining on behalf of someone else?

We adhere strictly to the NHS Code of practice on protecting patient confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you are doing so with that person's full knowledge and consent, and have their permission to do so.

A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are inacapable (because of illness/incapacity) of providing this. The Practice can offer you a printed statement that can be used.



Making a formal complaint can be stressful, for the person complaining and the staff involved. The Practice offers support for the person making a complaint and for the member of staff being complained about.


Who Can Help Me With My Complaint?

Patient Advice & Support Service (PASS)

If you would like to speak to someone who does not work in the NHS for advice or help with making a complaint, you can contact your local Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS), which can be accessed through your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB):

Grangemouth & Bo’ness CAB Tel (01324) 483 467

Out-of-Hours Messaging Service Tel 0845 602 5485




If you find it difficult to make a complaint yourself, you can ask for an independent advocate. An independent advocate is someone from outside the NHS who can speak for you or help you express your views. The Forth Valley Patient Liaison and Complaint Service or local PASS will be able to tell you about advocacy services in your area.



An independent conciliator is someone who can try to help you and the person you have complained about to agree what should happen.  Conciliation can only be used if you and the person you’ve complained about both agree to it. The Forth Valley Patient Liaison and Complaint Service or PASS will be able to tell you about conciliation services in your area.


What if I change my mind after I complain?

You can change your mind about making a complaint at any time.  To let us know, write and tell the Practice Manager.


What if I'm not happy about the way the Practice handled my complaint?

If your complaint has been fully investigated by the Practice and you are still not happy, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman to consider your complaint further.

You should try to contact the Ombudsman no later than 12 months after the event you are complaining about. Sometimes this time limit will not apply – contact the Ombudsman’s Office for more information.

The Ombudsman does not take up all complaints and will decide, after reviewing the matter, whether or not to investigate your complaint further.

From 1st December 2018, The Ombudsman can be contacted at:

Bridgeside House
99 McDonald Road

Freepost SPSO (no stamp needed)

Tel:    0800 377 7330 (free from UK landlines)

online contact:



NHS Forth Valley Patient Relations and Complaint Service

In very exceptional circumstances, you may not feel able to contact the Practice directly to complain. If this applies in your case, you may seek advice from the Health Board. They can be contacted at:

NHS Forth Valley
Patient Relations and Complaint Service
NHS Forth Valley Royal
Stirling Road


Tel  (01324) 566 660

NHS FV Compliments and Complaints

NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website